ASK THE STORAGE EXPERTS: LEATHER STORAGE TIPS
January 12th, 2022
Leather is loved for its durability, versatility, and all-around luxurious feel on anything from books to furniture. But if you’re putting something leather into storage, you need to take special care to keep it protected from harm.
That’s why we’re here! We have the tips you need to store your leather safely and avoid drying, discoloration, cracking, and other potential damages.
With the right preparation, the right storage unit, and the right care, storing leather in style is a piece of cake.
PREPARING YOUR LEATHER FOR STORAGE
Before moving your leather items into storage, you need to give them a good cleaning:
- First, you need to remove any kind of contaminates or foreign objects that could cause scratches or even mildew growth. For leather furniture, first vacuum out its all nooks and crannies. Check the pockets in leather jackets, pants, or purses for crumbs, dust, or other debris.
- From there, dampen a clean cloth with a leather cleaner and wipe down your leather.
- Afterward, dry the leather with a soft towel and begin applying a conditioner to ensure it remains soft. You can either use a store-bought conditioner or make one at home with one-part white vinegar and two parts linseed oil.
- Your last step in pre-storage preparation is to cover or bag your leather items. Use a breathable cover or coat bag to avoid trapping condensation and promoting mildew growth. If using tape or adhesives to hold the cover or bag closed, avoid making direct contact between the tape and the leather.
SELECTING A STORAGE UNIT
Once you’ve gotten your leather cleaned and prepared, it’s time to ask the experts at Modern Storage® about which unit size would fit your needs. We’ll help you select the perfect unit and explain all the amazing amenities we can offer you.
The most important amenity we offer if you plan to store anything leather is our climate-controlled units. This is crucial in preserving your leather!
Leather expands in high temperatures, which can cause it to dry out and crack. Plus, when the air your leather lives in gets too humid, it invites mold to grow.
By electing to store your leather in a climate-controlled environment, you can rest easy knowing a constant temperature and humidity level is being maintained within your unit.
Did you know we offer a free moving truck? Or 24-hour video surveillance?We know your leather is precious, so getting it here and keeping it safe requires more than a truck bed or a lock on a door.
All Modern Storage® locations have modern security features such as controlled-access gates, on-site managers, and perimeter fencing. Our climate-controlled building even requires a unique customer keycode to enter the facility.
Plus, once you get here, you can enjoy complimentary coffee (at select locations), water, carts, and five-star customer service.
STORING YOUR LEATHER
After you prepare your leather for storage and select the right storage unit, the final step is making sure your leather is placed appropriately in your storage unit.
Leather needs to breathe. You shouldn’t cram leather-bound journals in a box or shove a leather chair into the corner of your unit. Instead, follow these tips for storage success:
- Place a plastic sheet or wooden pallet beneath any furniture or boxes to avoid collecting moisture on the floor.
- Place leather fabrics in a breathable coat bag and hang them on a rack.
- Cover leather furniture pieces with a natural cloth, place them in the center of your unit, and do not stack items on top.
By following our tips, you can keep your leather feeling soft and looking great for years to come!
If you have any questions about storing leather, please give a Modern Storage® location near you a call. We are ready to store you in style!