HOW TO STORE A MOTORCYCLE
February 2nd, 2023
Self-storage can be a great option for motorcycle owners who need extra space to store their bikes. However, there are a few essential tips to keep in mind to ensure that your motorcycle stays in good condition while in storage.
Clean your motorcycle before storing it. This includes washing it, cleaning the chain and gears, and making sure there is no dirt or debris on the bike.
Use a motorcycle cover to protect your bike from dust and other environmental elements. A cover will also keep your motorcycle out of direct sunlight, which can cause fading and cracking of the paint and plastic.
Be sure to keep cardboard underneath your motorcycle while in storage to catch any accidental fluid leaks while it is parked.
If possible, store your motorcycle on a stand or lift, this will keep the tires off the ground and prevent flat spotting.
Make sure your motorcycle is properly secured before storing it. Use tie-downs or straps to keep the bike from falling over or shifting during transport.
Consider storing your motorcycle in a climate-controlled unit. This will help keep the temperature and humidity at a steady level, which will prevent rust and corrosion.
You will also want to be sure to complete any maintenance necessary ahead of time. Routine maintenance is essential to keeping your motorcycle in good working condition. Some of the most important maintenance tasks to perform on a regular basis include:
- Changing the oil and oil filter: This is one of the most important maintenance tasks to perform on a motorcycle. The oil lubricates the engine and helps to keep it running smoothly. It is recommended to change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or three months, whichever comes first.
- Checking and maintaining the air filter: A clean air filter is essential for proper engine performance. Check the air filter every few months and clean or replace it as needed.
- Inspecting and adjusting the chain: A properly adjusted chain will help to improve the bike's performance and increase its lifespan. Inspect the chain for wear and adjust the tension as needed.
- Checking the tires: Regularly check the tire pressure and inspect the tires for signs of wear or damage. Also, check the tires' tread depth; if the tread is worn to the wear bars, it's time to replace them.
- Checking and maintaining the brakes: Make sure to check the brake pads, rotors, and fluid levels. Replace worn brake pads and change the brake fluid as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Checking the battery: Make sure the battery terminals are clean and the battery is properly charged. It's recommended to check the battery every few months or before going on a long trip.
By performing these routine maintenance tasks, you can help ensure your motorcycle runs smoothly and safely. Be sure to consult your owner's manual for specific maintenance recommendations for your motorcycle make and model.
Finally, check your insurance coverage to make sure your motorcycle is covered while in storage. Some policies may require additional coverage or have specific storage requirements.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your motorcycle will be in the same condition when you take it out of storage.
Here at Modern Storage, you will find many high-security motorcycle storage options to choose from. We have multiple locations all over Arkansas for your convenience. Give your local facility a call to speak with one of our storage experts, and we will find the perfect storage solution to meet your needs! You can also visit us online at modernstorage.com to complete your move-in from the comfort of your own home!
MODERN STORAGE WEST LITTLE ROCK
West Little Rock
601 Autumn Rd
Little Rock, AR 72211
MODERN STORAGE BENTONVILLE
700 SW 14th St
Bentonville, AR 72712
MODERN STORAGE BRYANT
300 Dell Dr
Bryant, AR 72022
MODERN STORAGE MAUMELLE BLVD
9100 Maumelle Blvd
Maumelle, AR 72113
MODERN STORAGE NORTH LITTLE ROCK
3100 N Hills Blvd
North Little Rock, AR 72116